Friday, June 6, 2014

The beginning of my journey into "A World Without Heroes, The Modern Tragedy" by George Roche

On my Facebook page I made reference yesterday to this book I have just begun to read, again. I started reading it many months ago, but got busy and stopped for a while, till I came upon it the other day. I thought that I was too busy to read it before, but I should know that there are things that you need to do, things you have to prioritize and make time for. We all know that, the problem is, how to know what to choose. I learned years ago, when I taught Early Morning Seminary to High School students, that my priorities have to be: 1-Prayer 2-Scripture Study Those two things had to happen every day and in that order. I would prioritize everything else after those two things were done. We had seven children at home at the time, the youngest was four years old. In order to accomplish all I needed to do, I had to get up at 4:30 a.m. Gratefully, I no longer need to get up that early, but I still need to get up earlier than I want to:) I still pray first and then read the scriptures. It is imperative to learn how God deals with his children so I can know how to deal with mine and I learn that from studying about His dealings with His children anciently. But we have also been blessed with a Prophet, in our day, and 12 Apostles to help us with the problems we have now. That was made possible through the restoration of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I have added to my morning study, one address given by one of those leaders of the Church from the General Conference issue of the Ensign magazine. Now I am adding, after those three most imperative choices have been accomplished, reading "A World Without Heroes." I am passionate about the importance of raising children. When the idea came for Little Hero Hugs, I was worried about the name. I was concerned that if I use the word "Hero" regarding the behavior of little children, I might be diminishing, in some way, the meaning of what we all think of when we say or hear the word "Hero." Can you call a child a hero for not hitting his brother who just took his ball? That was one of my dilemma's. But, then I would think, when you are three and you are playing with your favorite ball and your brother grabs it away from you, how hard is it for that child not to retaliate in some way. How hard is it to "turn the other cheek?" It is hard! But is it "heroic?" I decided that is was. This is the quote that I put on my Facebook page, at Little Hero Hugs, yesterday from "A World Without Heroes." In the preface it reads: "We had all adjudged heroism to be something 'larger than life.' Informed thus by heroic acts, we may say: 'Here is proof that we can rise above ourselves.' But at the same time we almost automatically add a reservation: 'This way is open only to the few, the courageous, the bold. I could never be a hero. It is not asked of me. The way is not open to all.' "But it is; and we are all asked to be heroes, each in his own circumstances." That is what I thought:) A three year old can encounter circumstances where he can behave heroically. I have begun my journey to learn all I can about heroes, because we need heroes in our world, badly. I invite you to come along:) I believe that we have the power to raise heroes. I have had my time. We are very grateful that the seven children my husband and I were blessed with have each turned out to be heroes. However that happened, we are grateful:) They put on their armor every day and fight the good fight. I hope to be of help to them as they raise our grandchildren to be heroes too:)

No comments:

Post a Comment